You may have been told whilst at school that you’re just never going to be an artist as you have no obvious drawing skills, are not obsessed with art in your every waking moment and not naturally talented. You believed it as this judgment was coming from authority figures and therefore it must be correct.
I hear this all too often in my art workshops from people who have waited years to give painting a go because they were afraid of failure and believed they couldn’t do it even though they really wanted to.
This makes me so sad because it simply isn’t true. I try to reach out to as many interested people as possible because I can guarantee that you don’t need to be able to draw or paint a photo image of a bowl of fruit in order to paint a stunning original.
Failure is only a word that human beings use to judge a given situation. Instead of fearing failure, we should learn that failures, mistakes and errors are the way we learn and grow. Many of the world’s greatest successes have learned how to fail their way to success. Some of the more famous are:
- Vincent Van Gogh. During his lifetime Van Gogh sold only one painting to a friend and only for a very small amount of money. While Van Gogh was never a success during his life he persisted on, sometimes starving to complete over 800 known works. Today they bring in hundreds of millions of dollars each.
- Charles Schultz. The Peanuts comic strip has had enduring fame, yet this cartoonist had every cartoon he submitted rejected by his high school yearbook staff. Even after high school, Schultz didn’t have it easy, applying and being rejected for a position working with Walt Disney.
- Monet. Today Monet’s work sells for millions of dollars and hangs in some of the most prestigious institutions in the world. Yet during his own time his art was mocked and rejected by the artistic elite. Monet kept at his impressionist style, which caught on and in many ways was a starting point for some major changes to art that ushered in the modern era.
The message is; feel the fear and do it anyway because you will be amazed at the rewards you will reap. It’s deeply rewarding and fulfilling to spend a few hours away from the hustle and bustle of our busy lives, focussing on expressing and creating our own unique paintings.
So you still think you can’t paint?
- Allow me to show you a technique where it’s impossible to make a mistake.
- All materials are supplied including five canvases for you to experiment on.
- Maximum class size is limited to five so each participant receives personalised tuition.
- I will take you through the process, step by step to make the journey an easy one.
- A stress free, creative and uplifting morning
A Success Story
I have many success stories about the people coming along but there’s one in particular that stands out. It was the first time this gentleman had booked for a workshop and when he arrived, he looked nervous and restless, way out of his comfort zone.
As I explained the process to the group he just moved away, looking at my paintings and was quite distracted. Through the demonstration process he wasn’t joining in with the group and so I left him to take his time and adjust to his surroundings.
Slowly he selected the paints in preparation of beginning his first painting. It was actually quite fascinating to watch. He didn’t follow the exact format, which is fine, I welcome freedom to experiment, and he became fully immersed in the project. I would touch base with him as I moved around assisting the group and give tips to him as best he’d allow.
By the end of the workshop after the clean up when we were all debriefing about the morning he rejoined the class and quietly explained that he suffered from clinical depression and the morning class was the first three hours respite he’d had from his thoughts in a long time. He was calmer, more centred and even smiled.
I felt really happy for him and deeply grateful that my workshop was the catalyst for the lift in his spirits. He came for three further sessions and now continues on at home.
There are just three easy steps to actually begin the wonderful journey of creating your own art at my workshop. All materials are supplied including 5 canvases to experiment on so it’s simply a matter of booking and attending Perth Artist Workshops in my home studio.
Teaching art to future artists in a stress free welcoming environment.
This technique makes it impossible to make a mistake so you really can relax and enjoy the process.
A very rewarding, uplifting and fulfilling journey.